Volterra Architectural Products: Made in the USA

Differentiating among Types of Moulding and Millwork

Contractors and amateurs often use the phrase moulding and millwork as a blanket term for the types of trim that are used during a remodeling or renovation project. Moulding is a very common practice that serves a functional and visual purpose. Walls, ceilings, floors, doors, and windows all benefit from natural wood-based trims. There are several types of moulding, however, and this guide can be used to quickly and efficiently distinguish them from one another.

Crown Moulding

When trim is set across the top of the wall where the wall meets the ceiling and branches out from there, it is considered crown moulding. This trim provides an easy and attractive passage between the two surfaces, unifying them without causing them to look convoluted.

Base Moulding

Similar to crown moulding, base moulding is the trim that is used to help the wall gently transition into the floor.


Casing is the trim that fits around a door or a window. Casing is useful because it helps a door stand out from the surrounding area, circumventing the look of the wall just seemingly giving out at a certain location. It is useful for windows for this same reason. Casing individualizes doors and windows as real fixtures, not just holes in the wall where something can be placed.

Panel Moulding

Panel moulding is used on the bodies of ceilings and walls to add an additional architectural design element to the surfaces. This trim is placed in a rectangular or square shape for the effect of framing a panel, a simple yet deft touch to the finished piece.

This guide is a quick and easy tool to help you have a better idea of which types of trims are necessary for a project. For more information about the different types of moulding and millwork, call Volterra Architectural Products at 602.258.7373 today.

Home About Us Products Distributors

Blog Contact Location Site Map

Volterra Architectural Products