A corbel is a wall beam used in construction to support a shelf, mantel or small projecting wall. Decorative wood corbels can add a touch of style to any home – both indoors and out. Fake wood corbels come in many different styles ranging from very simple to extremely ornate. They have the appearance of elaborately carved wood, but cost much less than the real thing. Aside from their affordability, there are many other benefits to using fake wood corbels, including their durability, versatility and ease of installation. The wood corbels available at Volterra Architectural Products are made of high-density polyurethane foam which is cast from real-wood molds. The result is a durable and elegant finished product that looks just like real wood. We also offer four different textures of fake wood corbels: mill cut, Doug Fir, saw cut, and smooth. Which texture you choose will depend on the architectural style of your home and your personal preferences. These corbels can then be painted or stained to match the décor of your home. Decorative wood corbels are not load-bearing structures, so they can be easily installed using a power drill and a couple of wood screws or nails. Simply drill holes in the back of the corbel, and hang on screws or nails affixed to a wood stud in the wall. It’s that easy. Fake wood corbels can also be easily uninstalled, moved and reinstalled if you ever choose to redecorate your home. Installing wood corbels beneath fireplace mantels, shelves and other projections in your home can add architectural interest that can serve as a focal point in a room. If you’re considering fake corbels for your upcoming home remodel, call 602.258.7373 today. Volterra offers a wide selection of faux wood corbels at very affordable prices in Phoenix and throughout the Southwest.
Wood corbels can be applied in a variety of settings. They are a great way to spruce up the exterior millwork surrounding your home. The issue with corbels made from real wood, however, is that in just a few years they can begin to split, rot, and deteriorate. If you want to create a unique and attractive home exterior and enhance your home’s overall curb appeal with wood corbels, rather than using real wood, you can save yourself a lot of time, money, and hassle by choosing faux wood corbels.
At Volterra Architectural Products, we are a leading manufacturer of decorative corbels and other polyurethane architectural details. Our faux wood corbels are manufactured with a high-density foam material, therefore, they are more lightweight, durable, and cost-effective, yet replicate the appearance of real Doug Fir corbels.
How to Install Faux Wood Corbels
The benefits of Volterra’s decorative corbels are too good to pass up. Installing them is a breeze and we’re going to prove it. In this blog, our experts share how to properly install faux wood corbels to the exterior of your home. To see these steps in action, check out this step-by-step video.
Step #1: Mark Where You’ll Cut a Notch
You’ll need to cut out a notch so that the faux wood corbels will fit tightly underneath the fascia board. To find the proper cutting spot, place the corbel on the exterior wall where you will be installing the corbel. Make a mark on the top where you’ll cut a notch. After you have made the markings, use a square to draw clean lines for the notch.
Step #2: Use a Saw to Make Small Cuts
Next, you’ll need to get a standard wood cutting hand saw. Using medium pressure, make two slight cuts on the markings you made — where the fascia will fit into the corbel. Then, use a utility knife to make the other two cuts perpendicular to the saw cuts. After that, use a chisel and mallet to chisel out the notch at a slight angle.
Step #3: Screw Wood Blocking to the Wall
Screw a pre-cut two-by-four wood block to the exterior wall through the stucco system and into the structural blocking inside of the wall cavity. The block will fit firmly in the back of the corbel. To secure the wood block, we recommend placing a screw in each corner.
Step #4: Secure the Faux Wood Corbel to the Wood Block
Now that the wood block is screwed into the wall, you should be able to fit the corbel over it firmly. Using exterior-grade screws, fasten the corbel to the wood blocking. Make sure to countersink a screw slightly into the corbel. Then, screw the corbel to the fascia board.
Step #5: Install the Blocks
Many homes that have exterior corbels have small wooden blocks in between. If you plan on installing them, do so now. Volterra’s corbels and blocks are manufactured with HDF material. Most of our HDF products have a cavity in the back that allows for a block or cleat to be used for fastening purposes. Screws are typically enough to hold these products in place.
Step #6: Apply High-Grade Exterior Caulking
Once you have the corbels and blocks fastened, use high-grade exterior caulking to seal the corbels where they meet the fascia board. You can use the caulking to also fill in any visible screw holes. Wood putty or auto bonding can also be used to fill in screw holes for a nice texture.
Step #7: Add Any Finishing Touches
You can order faux wood corbels primed or in five available exterior grade stains. Whichever style or types of corbels you order, do a final inspection to make sure that there aren’t any finishing touches required. You may need to add some stain or do some sanding to smooth out the dried caulking.
With all the proper tools and materials, installing these faux wood corbels is an easy weekend project for a handy homeowner. Once installed to your exterior, your home will have a custom look that is sure to add some flair to the curb appeal of your home.
Purchase Faux Wood Corbels Today
When it comes to decorative corbels, Volterra has a variety of sizes and styles to choose from that replicate the appearance of Doug Fir — such as cove corbels, scroll corbels, and more — making it easy to find something that matches the appearance of your home’s exterior. We have faux wood corbels for both interior and exterior use, both of which require virtually no maintenance and will still last twice as long as real wood corbels would be expected to.
Whether you want to install corbels for the first time or are looking for a durable, cost-effective solution to replace your old, weather-beaten real wood corbels, we encourage you to shop our selection of Doug Fir corbels today!
A lot of times, when you’re talking about a major renovation to a home, you will hear something about the added curb appeal of the completed project. This is usually in reference to your return on investment when you’re considering how much to spend. Unfortunately, curb appeal is hardly measurable in real numbers, so it’s important to know what it’s really worth if you plan on selling your home.
What Is Curb Appeal?
Curb appeal is the rather subjective measure of how attractive your home appears to passersby from the street level. In the past, this was an important metric when it came to photo books full of houses for sale. Today, curb appeal plays a slightly different role in the real estate market, and its definition has expanded to include more of a “first impression” whether viewing the house from the street or from an initial photograph. Either way, curb appeal is definitely something you want to have.
Why It’s Important
When you’re in a competitive housing market, curb appeal can be a major factor in getting more potential buyers into your home. If there are tons of houses on the market, it stands to reason that buyers will look at the most attention-grabbing ones first, which typically means the ones that look best on the outside. Of course, if the outside of your home is lacking, your agent may opt for a magazine-worthy image of your glistening kitchen instead to create that first visual impact. The more buyers you get looking at your home, the more likely you are to get a good offer, and the sooner you can go under contract. If you’re waiting to close on another house this can be a lifesaver.
Increasing Curb Appeal
There are many ways to increase curb appeal on your house. A fresh exterior with neatly painted trim is a good start. It makes your home look modern, and ensures that it stands out from all the other pictures on the web. In addition, clean landscaping and a beautifully accented entryway can also do the trick. You can even dress up your home’s exterior with ornamental trim, corbels, or shutters from Volterra Architectural Products. These inexpensive changes can not only increase the beauty of your home, but increase its value to potential buyers.
For more creative ways to add curb appeal to your house, visit Volterra online. We are happy to help you find products that will match your trim and fit the style of your home for added curb appeal.]]>
High density polyurethane foam products have grown in popularity in the build and design industry and it really doesn’t come as a surprise. They are steadily replacing the love for natural wood and other interior design materials which dominated the industry for a long time. Thanks to insular qualities in sound and heat, they are sometimes used as ceiling and wall panels, and often used as window and door trim or crown moulding. Here are 4 benefits of using high density foam decorative building products.
1. Elegant lookHDF products always add an unmatched beauty and elegance to any type of décor. They look just as authentic as natural wood and offers ease of maintenance which never goes out of style.
2. Very durableHigh density foam is highly durable and will stand the test of time. They are strong and solid if properly installed and can last for over 20 years. Their solid nature and durability has made them beneficial when used in demanding outdoor environments. Their durability makes them cost-effective because you won’t be repairing and replacing these elements time after time.
3. VersatilityHigh density foam products are easy to work with and offer an unmatched versatility. They can be used in a range of both interior and outdoor areas without looking out of place. They also offer a wide range of looks, designs and even colors. Nothing comes in handier than an architectural product that covers an array of uses.
4. Quality at an affordable priceHDF products are not as expensive as their wood counterparts. This means you will be getting quality products at an affordable price. You will have more options available to you that meet your budget so you can truly customize the look you’re getting. No matter how unique or specific your interior needs are, there are a variety of HDF products available here at Volterra Architectural Products to quench your thirst for elegant design and architectural looks. Visit our website or call us at 602-253-7373.]]>
1. Accentuate windows and doors with trims Beyond landscaping and the roof of your home, the front door and windows are the first things people notice when they approach any house. The last thing you want is for your front door and windows to lack character and give your guests a bad impression about your home. It only takes the addition of high quality trim to your front door and windows from Volterra Architectural Products to give your home charm and personality that will make a lasting first impression to your guests.
2. Add much needed curb appeal to your home using corbels and bracketsAdd some much needed curb appeal to your property by using our lavish and intricately designed decorative exterior brackets and corbels. The corbels can be used just below the roof or around the corners and edges of the house and will add subtle character to the walls.
3. Vents- simple, effective and eye-catchingAs much as vents are a necessity for ventilation, they can also be a good decorative element for the exterior. Peruse through the range of vents we have here in Volterra and choose the type and design of vents which will help eliminate the monotony of plain walls. Volterra Architectural Products offers a variety of products that can give your home an updated look. Help your home stand out from the crowd by contacting us on our website of by calling 602-258-7373.]]>
1. Kitchen cabinets Foam corbels are perfect for under kitchen cabinets because minimum support is required here. Since the cabinets are bolted to the walls, the foam corbels will be used solely for decoration. When fitted perfectly, foam corbels accentuate the kitchen cabinet giving ordinary builder-grade cabinets a custom look that is appealing to the eye.
2. FireplaceMany people omit the fireplace mantel when thinking about decorating their homes. This however, should not be the case because the fireplace can be a spectacle when decorated with the right elements. There is no better way of decorating your fireplace and giving it a grand look than dressing it up with foam corbels. Adding corbels underneath the mantel or on the floating shelf will give it an astonishingly elegant finish.
3. Kitchen counters and IslandsThe sides of most kitchen counters are often plain and simple. Curved foam corbels can be used to add elegance to the kitchen counters and offer a decorative element to kitchen counter overhangs. The results are truly amazing and your kitchen will be transformed forever. Island bar tops are beautifully accented with decorative corbels. Foam corbels are one of the fine details that can make or break the aesthetic of a house. They come either smooth or in a variety of textures and stain colors so you can find something that matches the other architectural elements in your home. They can also be painted to match colors or provide an accent. Volterra Architectural Products offers foam corbels in a variety of sizes and designs to spruce up your home. ]]>
corbels in a range of sizes and styles to match your home. They can easily be stained and installed in areas that will earn you a return.
Classic AppealCorbels are often used to give a home a distinguished classical look similar to the popular Victorian and Renaissance era. The multi-faceted corbels draw the eye toward long, graceful roof lines and window sills. They can be used to accent your paint scheme and make your home stand out from others on your street or you can match your corbels to your window shutters and trim to create a beautifully refined look.
Simple ApplicationWhen searching for ways to boost your curb appeal, many projects you may consider could end up being both time consuming and costly. For example, a full landscaping overhaul may cost significantly more than the return you will end up getting when you sell your home. By contrast, corbels are relatively inexpensive. You can also control the amount you spend by choosing from a wide variety of styles ranging from simple to highly ornate. The hardware and labor needed to install corbels is significantly less than what you would expect to pay to repaint your entire home. With so many neighborhoods being built with a cookie cutter approach, it can be difficult to make your house stand out from the mundane. Corbels offer a way to draw the attention of potential buyers who will be even more surprised if you use those same corbels throughout the interior of your home, giving it an even more unified appeal. Before you spend a fortune trying to prepare your house for the market, visit Volterra Architectural Products online or call at 602-258-7373 and see how corbels can change the whole look of your home. ]]>
Choosing a Design Depending on the goal of your renovation, you may want to find a corbel design that is appropriate for the time period your house was built. If your home was not built during a period that corbels were popular, there are still a wide range of design options ranging from modern simplicity to complex Victorian. Corbels can be purchased in a variety of styles and finished in a color that complements your home décor.
Where to InstallWhether your home’s entry way is graced by pillars or not, you can still install corbels on both the interior and exterior of the house. For the exterior, they are often installed along the eaves of roofs to add an extra accent. On the inside of your home, corbels are a great addition to any fireplace mantel or beneath a kitchen island. They can be used to support cabinetry or countertops, and can even be placed in doorways or long hallways to add interesting visual breaks in the wall. Once you’ve determined what kind of look you want for you home remodel, it is easy to find a corbel design that matches your theme. Corbels can be ordered for both interior and exterior installation, and will instantly give your home a fresh new look. The detailed mill work used in your corbels is a tasteful way to update your home today. To see a full range of hardwood corbels or faux wood corbels in Doug Fir or the new Hand Hewn texture visit Volterra Architectural Products or call 602-258-7373. ]]>
- Floors– Use your floors for storage! All you need to do is use planks to build a platform over the floor in the room you choose. This idea works really well for an extra room, guest room or craft room. Once the platform is built it will also serve as the floor. But each section has a small indent you pull up to reveal built in storage boxes. Imagine how much new storage you will have, yet it will be completely out of sight and the room remains clutter free and ready for use in its intended purpose.
décor or to organize your kitchen tools. Or, use a corbel to cover up areas that would, otherwise, be unsightly. A drawer or spice cupboard looks like an antiqued treasure. A blemish on the wall becomes an architectural jewel. With a little bit of imagination, corbels can make your kitchen into an extravagant beauty. Volterra carries corbels in sizes that will fit any use in your house. Available in Doug Fir, Smooth, and Rough Sawn, you are sure to find a decorative corbel that will fit into the look and ambience of your kitchen. For more information about Decorative Corbel options through Volterra or to select from our large variety other interior decorating products to enable you to easily renovate your home, visit Volterra Architectural Products or call us at (602) 258-7373. ]]>